about Melbourne Parathyroid Centre
The Melbourne Parathyroid Centre was created by Mr Stephen Farrell to provide a dedicated, expert and complete service for patients with hyperparathyroidism.
He has 20 years experience in Endocrine Surgery and particular expertise and passion for Parathyroid Surgery.
The Melbourne Parathyroid Centre is a service dedicated to the surgical management of hyperparathyroidism.
WE PROVIDE EXPERTISE IN:
- Confirmation of the diagnosis of hyperparathyroidism
- Office-based ultrasound to assess both the parathyroid glands and the thyroid
- Access to state-of-the-art localisation imaging studies performed by specialised radiologists
- Best-practice surgery and post-operative management for patients with hyperparathyroidism
- Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy when appropriate
Stephen Farrell is the head of Endocrine Surgery at St Vincents Public Hospital and Austin Hospital in Melbourne. He is the Endocrine Surgeon for the Royal Childrens Hospital in Melbourne.
In private he operates at St Vincents Private Hospital, Fitzroy and Warringal Hospital in Heidelberg.
Stephen is one of Australias leading Endocrine Surgeons. Over more than 20 years as a specialist, he has a vast experience of all aspects of Endocrine Surgery and has performed more than 4500 thyroid operations and more than 1800 parathyroid operations.
Parathyroid surgery for
- Parathyroid adenoma
- Parathyroid cancer
Thyroid surgery for
- Thyroid nodule
- Multinodular goitre
- Graves disease
- Thyroid cancer
Neck dissection for thyroid cancer involving lymph nodes
Removal of branchial and thyroglossal cysts
Adrenal surgery for
- Adrenal tumour
- Conns syndrome
- Adrenal Cushings syndrome
- Adrenocortical carcinoma
Pancreatic surgery for
- Islet cell tumour
His special areas of interest are
- Parathyroid surgery
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type I and type II