About Dr Stephan Praet
Areas of Specialisation
As a Sport & Exercise Physician Dr. Praet possesses specialist expertise in general medicine, orthopaedics, radiology & rehabilitation plus allied sport sciences including nutrition, biomechanics, exercise physiology & sports psychology.
Dr. Praet also has a special interest in (neural) prolotherapy through Lyftogt Perineural Injection Treatment (P.I.T.) to treat chronic myofascial (nerve) pain, osteoarthritis, tendinopathies, ligament injuries & TMJ-dysfunction.
Dr. Praet covers most sports medicine related problems, but has a special interest in:
- Running injuries to the foot, lower limb, groin, pelvis and lower back.
- Concussion management.
- Bone stress injuries and Relative Energy Deficiency Syndrome (RED-S).
- Sports nutrition and Nutraceuticals.
- Medical imaging and treatment of Tendinopathies.
- Treatment of Myofascial trigger points, and Lyftogt P.I.T. (neuro)prolotherapy (dextrose injections) for chronic myofascial (nerve) pain, osteoarthritis, ligament injuries and TMJ dysfunction.
- Muscle deconditioning and exercise prescription in chronic illnesses, such as cancer, heart failure, COPD, Long COVID-19, mitochondrial myopathies and type 2 diabetes.
- Cardiovascular risk assessment, heart rate variability and cardiopulmonary exercise testing (CPET).
Dr. Praet has a strong scientific background and has co-authored over 40 peer-reviewed manuscripts and book chapters. He has been involved in a wide array of research projects on the clinical application of exercise testing and exercise prescription in Metabolic Syndrome, Type 2 diabetes, Cancer cachexia and Mitochondrial myopathy patients.
MD, PhD, FEBSM, FACSEP